Tuesday, June 19, 2018

#LeadershipTuesdays: We Must Do Better


I do not usually express opinions on the political issue du jour on this platform, however I do want to share this experience. When I was a teenager in high school, I remember my sick young five or six year old cousin having to be admitted to the hospital because she had severe asthma and other respiratory problems. She had to stay there for at least a week and her mother, who was a single mother, had to work and could not be with my little cousin most of the day and night. 

Every day my little cousin would cry and plead with her mother not to leave when visiting hours were over. It was a traumatic experience for my cousin, her mother and anyone else like me who watched the separation process. 

That said, parents should not be separated from their children without sufficient cause. I know that the immigration issues that are currently in the news are complicated and political. However, keeping young children with their families is a human rights issue. Detain them together, process them together, grant them stay together and/or send them back together. 

Don't separate children from their parents. It's not their fault they are in this predicament and it's just too traumatic for them. And even though children are resilient, we should be and must do better than this. 

--Nona O., Founder, #LeadershipTuesdays, womenatliberty.com


On Tuesdays, womenatliberty.com presents #LeadershipTuesdays, a platform for a variety of voices and resources to develop, encourage and strengthen women leaders. Click this link today and follow 
@LeadershipTues on Twitter for INC.com article, "4 Impressive Ways Great Leaders Handle Their Mistakes", and gain insight on how you as a leader and/or manager should handle mistakes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment