Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Where Our Strength Lies...Stephen R. Covey

“Strength lies in differences, not in similarities”  --Stephen R. Covey






Every other Tuesday, WOMEN AT LIBERTY provides a platform for a variety of voices and resources to develop, encourage, and strengthen women leaders. Today, we continue the discussion looking at the why women are not seeking advance degrees in business at the same rate as they get other professional degrees. Also the discussion seeks to answer why women are not proportionately represented in senior leadership positions in business. This is Part II of "Are We There Yet? My Climb and Journey" by V. Nona Ogunsula.
___________________



I remember driving to Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania in January 1996 like it was yesterday. I braved a wintry mix praying for at least two of the approximately five hours that it took to drive to Pittsburgh because my Toyota Camry ran out of windshield wiper fluid halfway through the trip. You see, driving was a last minute decision. Although snow had been in the forecast, I wasn't sure if we’d really get any snow. U.S. Air was the only airline who flew non-stop into Pittsburgh from the Washington, D.C. area and well, let’s just say, given the number of winter airplane accidents that had occurred at that time, I felt driving would be less stressful and safer. Nothing short of a blizzard was going to keep me from arriving in Pittsburgh for my orientation as a student in the Executive Masters of Business Administration (MBA) program at the University of Pittsburgh’s Katz Graduate School of Business.

I was so excited to be beginning my MBA program. Months earlier I had been accepted into this program that was fully supported by my company, AT&T. An Executive MBA program meant that I could attend school full-time and yet remain employed full-time. I had ambition and I wanted...

To read the rest of the story, click here. For more on Leadership Tuesdays, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment